In this simple, seasonal and healthy salad, peppery arugula is combined with crisp apples, toasted pecans, red onion, and dried cranberry. A vibrant lemon vinaigrette complements this flavorful plant-based dish. It’s a perfect beginning to your lunch or dinner. To make it a main dish, consider adding crumbled goat cheese, white beans, chickpeas, or tofu for your favorite protein. Serves 4.
- 1/2 cup raw pecans
- 7 ounces arugula (organic when possible)
- 2 small apples (1 tart, 1 sweet, peeled, quartered, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise)
- 1/4 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries (optional)
- 1 large lemon, juiced (1 lemon yields ~3 Tbsp or 45 ml)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 pinch each sea salt + black pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and arrange pecans on a bare baking sheet.
- Bake pecans for 8-10 minutes or until fragrant and deep golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While pecans are toasting, prep remaining salad ingredients and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Prepare dressing in a mixing bowl or mason jar by adding all ingredients and whisking or shaking vigorously to combine. Taste and adjust flavor as needed.
- Add pecans to salad and top with dressing. Toss to combine and serve immediately. Serves two as an entrée and four as a side.
- Store leftovers (dressing separate from salad) covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days (though best when fresh). Dressing should keep at room temperature for 2-3 days when well sealed.